Monday, August 01, 2005

Simple

Hurray. I have a new book to read entitled Freakonomics. Once again I'll be slurping up new knowledge on what is normally mindless bus stop down time.

The book is written by some young, hot shot economist named Steven Levitt. I'm not sure what kind of story will evolve here or if it is just a collection of things that make you go, "Hmm." But I already like the way he thinks.

In his first observation, he explained a previously mysterious reason for a giant drop in this country's crime rate in the late 1990's. He very simply took one of the largest correlates for people turning to a life of crime, being an unwanted child, and matched it with a historical event that drastically and immediately changed the number of new unwanted children, Roe vs. Wade. So simple, but no one ever explained it before.

I like it. Good start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you like it already--and glad you agreed to purchase it. I am always keeping my eyes and ears open for books you might like...