Thursday, June 22, 2006

Celebrity

Last night I had a celebrity close encounter.

I got word that Bjork was in town with her boyfriend Matthew Barney who had an exhibit opening at SFMOMA. Rumor was, she was planning to DJ at Stud Bar later that night. I said "Sure, sure she is." A group of friends planned to camp out down there that evening just in case it was true.

I was out with a buddy when Monica called and said the rumor appeared to be gaining wide acceptance and the place was filling up... and that I should come down if for no other reason than it was a fun crowd. I had never been to the Stud Bar, since I always thought of it as a gay bar and thought I might feel out of place. My friend felt the same way and was somewhat reluctant to attend for that reason. But due to my policy of "lean yes" when on the fence about something potentially fun, I decided to check it out.

As we walked down the street toward the bar, I could hear the sound of a brass band coming from that very direction... then heard their sound muffle as if they went indoors. This was a good sign. I thought it might be the Extra Action Marching Band who often seem to be surrounded by cool goings on. I was right. They had gone into the crowded bar just ahead of us, and we were treated to a loud and already surreal display.

This bar was clearly not prepared for the onslaught of rumor-believers they had already received. There was one poor bartender drowning in drink requests, where on a busy night, the size of the place would call for at least three or four of them plus bar back help. I waited patiently for a drink. And while I was waiting, a parade of folks, hand in hand in a long single file chain, scurried along behind the bar toward the DJ booth. And sure enough, a colorfully-caped Bjork was mid-chain.

The entourage happened to settle right where my friends were parked. When I made my way that direction, they all looked like deer in the headlights, not really sure what to do or say in the presence of a celebrity. But what can you say that wouldn't sound dumb?

Quickly, the normally jaded artsy San Francisco crowd degraded into a sea of star struck paparazzi. Camera phones were shoved in her face from every direction and people pushed to get as close to her as possible. I was kind of stuck between her and the crowd and decided to help create a casual barrier rather than steer clear. She didn't seem super appreciative, but I was impressed that she toughed it out and didn't seem too phased by it all.

I stayed just long enough to hear what music she played. It was kind of hard to tell who was DJ'ing at any given moment, but after awhile it seemed more like a crowd full of people trying to catch a glimpse rather than a dance club with a great guest DJ.

So I went home, somewhat more appreciative of my anonymity. I'm glad I can go out and have fun without the mob scene her and others have to deal with regularly.

No comments: