Monday, June 19, 2006

Fast

I fasted this past weekend for the first time ever.

Monica had a book called The Idiot's Guide to Fasting. When I saw the title, I couldn't contain my laughter. Why on earth would I need a whole book to tell me how to not put food in my mouth!

She assured me that there was more to it than I thought. So I read through some of the book and was intrigued by the process and the benefits the book claimed fasting could have.

Previously I always assumed that fasting was mainly done for spiritual, weight loss, or body cleansing reasons.

My "Eureka" moment while reading was the book's explanation of how much energy one's body uses in the digestion of food. Besides the above benefits, while fasting, your body can use the energy not used for digestion and focus it on other aspects of existence, such as mental clarity and healing itself of chronic ailments.

I thought about the Thanksgiving food coma we all know and dread. That is an easy example of how much energy is used up just digesting food. It made sense that there could indeed be real benefits to it. It occurred to me that in over 13,000 days on Earth, my body has never experienced even one day without eating solid food.

So I resolved to try it. Just one or two days to start. And then maybe with some regularity if it worked out.

It wasn't all that easy. I am certainly not accustomed to depriving myself that way. During moments when I had something to focus my attention on like cleaning the house or shopping, it wasn't too bad as long as I kept on drinking water or juice. No big crashes or suffering. It was true that after the first day, food seemed less urgent. I definitely looked forward to my first meal on Sunday, but didn't act like a crazy starving person while eating, and ate very light the rest of the day.

Today, I do seem to have more energy and clarity than usual, especially considering my regular Sunday night activities at The Buccaneer pub.

All in all, I'd say it's worth making an attempt at incorporating some form of this practice into my regular routine, even it's a big less self-deprived. It clearly seems to be a good idea from a self discipline and re-charging standpoint.

No comments: