Thursday, September 08, 2005

Ideas

As if I'm not busy enough, I like to fill my tiny bits of free time with website hobby projects. These sites only occasionally get finished and rarely get used by anyone. Though I usually have a glimmer of hope that a substantial number of folks may someday find the fruits of my work useful, I doubt I'll ever make any real money from them. But you never know.

My lyrics website, Lyricsbeat.com, is probably my best success story and actually does get a fair amount of traffic - about 4,000 page views per day. Not only do that many people find the song lyrics they're looking for, it makes enough money with Google AdSense advertising to pay for its own hosting and will probably subsidize my next, more ambitious project. So I can chalk that one up as a success.

I tend to like to build projects I would want to use myself. That way, the worst case scenario is that I have a useful tool that will at least be used by me and any pliable friends I might recruit.

Lately, I've been wanting to work on a project that might do some actual good in the world. Short of volunteering for someone else's project, I haven't come up with one yet.

Past projects have included:

- SpeakUp.com - A website that matches users with their elected government representatives at all levels (do you know who your state senator is?), then takes surveys of current events and routes users' sentiments to their matching elected officials in nice summarized constituent reports. Outcome: Keeping the current event surveys current was a daunting daily task and there was no indication that any elected officials actually wanted these reports.

- FilmPal.com - A website that helps circles of friends pick movies (theatre or rental) to watch together. By emailing new release titles to members and having them rank new releases by desire-to-watch and already-seen, a quick visit to the website could pick the most wanted movie for a given group. Outcome: Keeping the new releases current wasn't a huge job, but big enough for me to slack off. Also tough to find users.

- EzWF.com - A workflow and task manager tool that a group can use to communicate, track, and assign task list items to one another. Outcome: I use this for my current project at the city. I had a few hundred users try a free trial, but I suspect that it was too complicated for most to use without training or consulting.

Now I have some new ideas I may work on:

News recommendation website - A website that would use collaborative filtering technology to create a single website users could visit and view blog entries from many blogs ranked by the recommendation engine that would use their own rankings of blogs they read to determine other articles they would be interested in. The articles would all be displayed on a single website, not linked around to others. It's not as hard as it sounds - I don't think. Possible domain names: newzer.net, newsface.com, newzo.com, bloghog.net, customfitnews.com

Online Checklist - A website on which one could build a daily checklist of recurring tasks that may recur at different intervals. The items are similar to recurring calendar reminders, only this would create a record of those tasks actually accomplished and when. It could also be used by a group who shares tasks. Possible domain names: cheqlist.com, cheklist.net, checklistmaker.net, taskcheck.net.

Wish me luck... and motivation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.