Friday, September 30, 2005

Baggage

Shower faucets are like relationships.

Yesterday was a fun day. Although it was a normal Thursday at work, there was also fun to be had. Not only was it a beautiful warm and clear day in the city, it was also the first day ever, San Francisco hosted a ski jump competition on its steep city streets.

It was going to be tough for me to make it there because the event was held in Pacific Heights, across town from civic center where I work. The bus rides alone would have eaten up my whole lunch break. But Shannon came to the rescue and offered to chauffeur me from work to the event and back and even brought me a sandwich to eat. She's so nice.

We made it up there along with thousands of others and witnessed what could be a once in a lifetime event, judging by the controversy surrounding the disruption it caused.

Here are some pictures

Later on, after work, Shannon and I were expecting guests. Her previous roommate, Sue, who now lives in Los Angeles, and her band, Tsk Tsk, have a couple of shows in the Bay Area this week, and we agreed to put all of them up for a couple of days at our apartment. We're so nice.

They rolled into town about two hours before they were supposed to go on stage last night. Since we have two bathrooms in our house, I offered to let a couple of them use my shower to save them some time.

They made it to the venue, put on a lovely show, and a good time was had by all.

This morning, when I got into my shower and turned on the water, I noticed that the previous occupant had pushed down the faucet handles really hard, using far more pressure than necessary. I felt bad for the poor little handles.

I imagined that whoever last used the shower must have a real problem with water continuing to drip out of their own home shower after shutting it off. Even though my shower does not have the same problem, that person applied their usual compensating solution anyway.

People do this in relationships also. Not that it has happened to me recently, but I think people have a habit of compensating for the issues of past significant others, even though it's not necessary with their current partners.

If you're in a relationship, try applying only the amount of pressure needed when shutting someone down. I know you'll try. Because you're so nice.

No comments: