Thursday, October 06, 2005

Ghosts

I Googled myself today and came across a document from the California Court of Appeals. The document describes in great detail the dramatic story of several of my high school friends, one of which eventually killed the other in cold blood. I was close friends with the killer's brother Joey growing up and also good friends with the victim, Steve, who actually helped teach me to drive my first car.

This document describes the events in greater detail than I have ever heard before. Up until now, I have relied on newspaper articles and hearsay, mostly.

I don't know what has become of Rob, the defendant. I know that he was the subject of controversy in past years because he was paroled but kept in prison by then governor Gray Davis.

I had heard that the San Francisco gay community had rallied to Rob's side, arguing that he was the victim of gay bashing. Although there is truth to that as described in the case, it doesn't appear to me to rise to the level of justifying death to the basher. It always seemed to me that Steve had been forgotten by the courts, the press, and the activists. And that always bothered me. It still does.

Steve didn't always behave well. But he was a good guy. And I miss him.

This is the document

No comments: