Friday, July 22, 2005

Dairy

Sometimes we think we have beaten an affliction, and we haven't.

My battle with dairy products started in my early twenties. I didn't know what was causing me to feel so sick so frequently, and the problem gradually got worse over a couple of years until I finally surrendered to the notion that lactose is not my friend.

Every now and then, a thought pops into my head that maybe I was mistaken about my handicap or that maybe it's the type of thing that subsides over time, and maybe I'm being too careful about food unnecessarily. Usually what happens is that I start pushing the envelope.

Put some butter on my bread.. Ok that had no effect. Cool.

Have a tiny bite of ice cream.. I survived.

Ok. Just give me the full salmon-bathed-in-cream-sauce dinner. I'm impervious!

Smack! Slap! Bif!

No, Miles.. still afflicted... dumb ass.

Nothing wrong with a little optimism. Until it hurts a lot. Ugh.

No comments: