Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Google

So I've been trying to get this blog indexed by search engines. It's nice that a handful of my friends read what I have to say now and then, but I'd be delighted to have a total stranger read it and maybe comment on it. That's what networks are for, right?

I submitted this site to Google (who owns Blogger now), hoping they would be happy to index pages on their own web servers. Asking Google to do anything is like asking Jesus for a favor. Maybe someone is listening, maybe they aren't. They don't talk back. So the only way to know if they've complied with my request is to check and see if my site is listed when I search for myself.

After searching for "Miles Gordon", I found that, although no one has answered my prayers yet, there are a few sites of interest.

Miles Gordon Technologies, U.K. - A website called Binary Dinosaurs showcases computing relics of days past. The funny thing is that my dorky career started around these devices. Does that make me a binary dinosaur?

Miles Gordon of Cornwallis 1848-1951 - An extremely brief biography of some guy even older than me. The only real information about him was that he married a woman 12 years younger than him. Younger women. Hmm. I guess we have two things in common.

Miles Gordon, Social Studies Teacher, Ukiah, CA - A PLO-loving fellow who wishes to spread hatred of America and Israel through public school channels.

Miles Gordon, VP of Education, New York Natural History Museum - Now that's more like it.

It looks like some further search engine research is called for on my part. Maybe soon I will be able to join the ranks of these fine folks. Pray for me.

P.S.

For all of you who love the new sattellite image maps available on Google, check out its cute little cousin: moon.google.com

P.P.S.

I read that Google isn't inclined to index sites, even on its own Blogger system, that have weak ranking potential. So I tried putting a hyperlink to this blog on my Lyricsbeat.com website which has a 5/10 Google page rank (pretty high). That should give this blog some Google-cred. We'll see.

No comments: