Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Grandma Neuron

Be careful with those brain cells! Or you might forget who Jennifer Aniston is.

I read this article today about a study I remember learning about a few years ago. It explains that we have single neurons that fire when we recognize individual people. In the study I remember, they referred to them as the "Grandma" neuron. I think we all remember that moment when we see someone in public and know they look familiar... then have that "Oh yeah!" moment. That's the one brain cell in your head reserved for that person firing off its juice.

I bet the scientists in this study can sleep well at night now know they've discovered the part of the brain dedicated to Friends co-stars.

I wonder if there is a neuron that would make people confuse me with Brad Pitt.

In other news. Beware of giant popsicles in New York City. Sheesh.

No comments: